Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather

Usually, I find a perfume that interests me, and then from that talk about it, weaving together the name, the notes, associated thoughts, and finally music that reflects the style, either directly or indirectly.  I also usually write on Tuesdays.  However, I've been swamped with casting and Light Asylum happened.


In our many hours storyboarding and casting, my DP and I can't stop watching the music video for Skull Fuct.  Everything about it is amazing.  So, it needs a perfume.

I wanted something with leather, something dark.  I pulled a couple leathers off my shelf to choose from, and tried Lancôme's Cuir by Lancôme (too feminine) followed by Parfum d’Empire's Cuir Ottoman (too fancy).  I wanted Caron's Tabac Blond to pair with the video.  It was made in 1919 as an ode to the woman who smoked, and that concept seemed androgynous, lost in time, and appropriate for the film's content, but the actual scent felt too pretty, complex, and lush.  A beautiful perfume, but not stark enough to match the black and white aesthetics of the video.

Then, I dabbed Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather on my wrist.  It is all smoke and leather and absolutely perfect.  "All smoke and leather" isn't really an official list of notes.  Tom Ford lists a couple others, and actually, I think what reads as smoke to me is actually the agarwood (oud), but ultimately the leather note is so strong it dominates everything else.  The whole scent is perfect for this video: androgynously masculine, leathery, raw, smokey, dark.  I want to meet Shannon Funchess, and I want her to be wearing Tuscan Leather.


No comments:

Post a Comment